Friday, June 15, 2012

Carpenter's Notes From The Road

I hope that everyone has had a chance to catch their breath and get things caught up back home at the farm this week after an outstanding 2012 WPX. Surely, this year’s expo will be talked about for years to come with two record setting selling hogs that went through the sale ring. I truly felt privileged to be a part of an event that wouldn’t happen without such great breeders, and junior exhibitors and sponsors! Also, hats off to the rest of the NSR staff for running such a smooth event.
Michael and I set out on the road early Wednesday morning stopping by SGI and then making our way northeast to Decorah to visit John Hunikers. I was thoroughly impressed with my visit to both places.
Our visit to SGI served us well as Michael and I viewed a few boars that we agree will move the breeds in a positive direction if they haven’t already done so. CDO0 Point Taken 257-3 is Hampshire boar that stood out to me! As a mature boar this guy fails to disappoint me. War Horse is the red hog on the place that hit me hard. If there is a red boar on the stud that has an advantage in terms of improving Duroc hogs, this one is it. If you’re looking to make cross barrows, UNFARE has got the right pieces in the right places. This COUNTY FARE son should sire the barrows that breeders aim to make! BLACK ONYX 11-2 needs used and for  me it’s that simple.
John Huinker showed us a solid, complete set of Durocs and a few crosses that got a double take out of me! Be sure and search the barn in a couple weeks for Johns Duroc entry in Louisville. This red boar needs to be evaluated hard. In addition to seeing some boars, John showed us his Bred gilt sale entries that can be found on  http://www.nsr-buyerschoiceauction.com/Sales/Huinker_Durocs.html. The sale will be held June 25 with start time of 8 A.M. central time and will close promptly at 7 P.M. central time. This sale will take place online at www.nsr-buyerschoiceauction.com. A couple of females that are sure to turn some heads are a CLAYBORN daughter 102-7 and ASIA daughter 95-2. Those are my picks from the offering, you make a sort on them how you like. This takes nothing away from the remainder of the females that will be placed in the hands of buyers come the 25th. I believe  this is an offering of some of the most genuine hogs on his farm. Do not miss your opportunity to better your red sow herd. There may also be a small offering of some small cross pigs so look in and find what you like!
Michael and I have seen an elite set of hogs over the past week, the ones discussed on here are ones that hit me hard. We hope to see everyone in Louisville in two short weeks and safe travels to everyone.
Please do not hesitate to contact myself or Michael on any questions you may have or to discuss any of the hogs we came across. We would love to help!
Corey Carpenter                                              Michael Lackey
Field Staff Intern                                              Field Staff
(530) 200-6187                                                (765) 427-3733

No comments:

Post a Comment