Monday, July 23, 2012

Carpenter's Notes From the Road

                Michigan Livestock Expo was held July 13th-17th. Ali, the NJSA Intern and I would spend the weekend at the show helping out in any fashion we could. Hats off to Al Snedegar, Brad Mortenson, Ernie Birchmier and crew for organizing a great event. The NSR breeds were very well represented and your grand and reserve overall hogs would be two Yorkshires. My first Michigan experience was great! My favorite part may have been meeting a lot of new people!
                After wrapping up my trip to Michigan Livestock expo I would make my way back down into Indiana where I would finally make my way to a few well marked places on the map for those that scour the country come spring time looking for that next great one.
                 I spent Tuesday morning visiting with Dave Kilmer about their program and what allows for their success. Dave has seen the industry change time and time again, which gives an advantage when it comes to decision making. BULLETPROOF was Yorkshire hog that still wows me today. This one makes them right! ABOVE ALL is a belted boar that has made a lot of Hampshire hogs better! Two herd sires that have done Dave a tremendous amount of good lately.
                I would spend a few hours that afternoon discussing some new purchases and some herd boars that have improved the program there at Top Cut Genetics with Jeremy Lipps. I saw a lot of boars at this visit so for time sake I won’t discuss them on here but feel free to call me with any questions you may have regarding what I saw. An unreal set of sires to look through!
                Terry Shaffer of Shaffer’s Gold Rush met with me Wednesday morning to show me their program and how the philosophy over the years has developed into one that allows them to operate a few different entities. Between two separate boar studs and running the show pig sow herd, Terry and his family certainly have their hands full. An outstanding visit with some sires on stud here that maybe unmatched by any.
                Thursday I spent my time back in Michigan where I would look though a few more herds. Pat & Doug Albright would share a little bit about what they do to make the purebred deal work for them.  I saw a pen of keeper gilts at this place consisting of some reds and belted hogs that were downright good. The baby hogs coming off of this farm come early spring next year are going to be tough ones to get around!
                I would make my way a little further north to Kent City where I would see some Hampshire hogs that would excite me! This has got to be one of the deepest most consistent set of Hampshire hogs across the farm I have seen all summer long! A lot of noise has been made in the last few years by the genetics that can be found at this farm and for me that was exciting to see.
                Last but certainly not least, Brian Hines and I would meet up Friday morning. Now Brian warned me there wouldn’t be a huge number of hogs to look through but after spending the first few minutes there I was glad I stopped in! The mother of Gold Standard and Hinesight is still cranking them out. I saw a considerable amount of young pigs that could make some noise come the end of the year here so be on the lookout for those.
                Another great week spent on the road looking through breeding hogs. I have enjoyed speaking with many of you regarding what I have seen. Don’t be afraid to call or email me in the weeks ahead. I hope to see many of you at the state fairs here in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment